Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Mid-Century Modern



I have been meaning to write about the fabulous group of women in the Mid-Century Modern Bee for the longest time.

Sometime last year, the idea popped into my head about gathering a group of women of a certain age and forming an online quilting bee. I have participated in several bees, usually composed of a wide variety of ages. I learned a lot and the experience has been for the most part very positive. But I thought it would be fun to form a group where the women were roughly the same age, as well as leaning toward the modern quilting aesthetic. Then the name "Mid-Century Modern" popped into my head. And really, how could I not form a bee when the name so perfectly described the women in it?

It was kind of weird to send out emails and then tiptoe around the fact that one of the main criteria was to be at least, um, mid century in age. I didn't want to offend anyone by thinking they were older than they were. You know how we women are about our ages...

Fortunately, no one was offended. In fact, they were all interested. And I kept thinking of more and more women I would love to have in a group like this. (Maybe we should start Mid-Century Modern 2?)

I spent a weekend with Elizabeth and she designed our logo, while I sat nearby and drank a diet coke offered words of encouragement.
She knew just where to go for mid-century color ideas for the logo. It was fascinating to watch her at work.

We are now in our third month and I hope think everyone is enjoying it so far. First up was Carla and she chose some really fun colors to keep us out of the post-holiday winter doldrums--pink, orange and red. 
 Churn dash blocks make up her quilt, already named Juicy Fruit. Carla said we could go wild with the colors, so I didn't hesitate. Turns out I already had a large stack of pink and orange fabric so the main problem was narrowing down my choices.  I solved that problem by making two blocks.
Each month we are making signature blocks:
I was happy to take the month of February. I loved the block that Amy chose when she was in the Stash Trad Bee, Winged Square, so that was my choice. Look at all these gorgeous blocks on my design wall! I want to make a few more. I just know this is going to be one of my most favorite quilts.

Debbie has the month of March and she went low-volume. I think this is going to be a stunning quilt and I really enjoyed working with these quieter fabrics.

I have met nearly half of the women in the group in person. The others have blogs I follow, some for quite a long time. My biggest hope is that during this year we get to know each other better, share more of our lives and maybe even keep the group going....and going...

The other members of the group include Carla, Susan, Linda, Deborah, Mary, Anne, Rene', Mary and Linda. The amount of talent in this group is just amazing.


Thanks, ladies. I'm glad I had the courage to ask that question we would all rather not answer: "So...how old are you anyway?"

Linking up with Lee this week.




34 comments:

05 08
Anne said... #

All the bee blocks are gorgeous, but that low volume block is simply stunning! I love that pop of warm but darker grey in there. Lovely!
Your bee sounds wonderful! And I love the name. :D

OPQuilt said... #

Wow--you are zippy at WIP Wednesday. I love your write-up of the MCMs--and we were collaborating (and drinking Cokes).

Love the look of those winged blocks--I hadn't seen them all laid out. Fabulous! (And thanks for your help today. I went by the shop and she is ordering Poppy. Hope that works!)

E.

Kristy @ Quiet Play said... #

Loving all your Winged Square blocks! They are looking great!

Sounds like you've got a fabulous bee group! Is there anything better?! :)

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said... #

Those blocks are beautiful!

Susan said... #

What a lovely post! And I am so privileged to be part of this amazing group! All of the blocks are amazing and such fun to make! I am looking forward to next month (and trying to decide what I want as Queen of May!)

newsurfiegirl said... #

What a great idea and what wonderful quilts you are making!

Rachel said... #

I love all those winged squares! For some reason I've really been loving that block lately.

Kymberly said... #

Mid-Century Modern sounds like such a fun group. Is it bad that I'm jealous I'm not old enough to join? Those quilt blocks are all very fun.

Lucy | Charm About You said... #

Such great blocks!! I adore your bees name and logo and I too wish I was older!

Krysta said... #

Loving your winged square quilt. It's going to be fabulous!

JHNickodemus said... #

Love those quilts! I like how many people ended up putting fussy cut blocks in the center squares of your winged quilt! I'm also really enjoying your signature blocks!

Linh said... #

I'm new to the blogging world as well as quilting but what you guys are doing sounds fun. Can't wait to see more.

elizabeth said... #

I have seen this logo on Debbie's blog and would definitely be interested if there is ever a spot open in this bee or if another is started. And yes, I fit the age criteria : ) Lovely blocks!

Debbie said... #

What fun! This has been a great bee to be in - I've just loved every block we've done so far! Thanks again for pulling us together!

Deborah said... #

Thanks for the great post! It's fun to see us all pulled together in one spot! Oops. I owe you a signature block!!

Carla said... #

Such a fun pst. Love your quilt so far. And yes, perhaps we could keep it going and going.....

Anonymous said... #

I love the winged square. So pretty and bright. I hope you don't mind that I pinned one of your photos. If so let me know!

Katy McCoy said... #

Wow! Both the churn dash blocks and the winged square are the epitome of mid-century modern - I'm blown away and can't wait to try something like those. That would mean dropping the 8 or so WIPs that I have right now - so I won't do that - but these types of blocks are next on my list. I'm about the same age as you and would love to join a group like this but I'm not sure I can take on anything else right now. But I will be vicariously playing along! I love your blog.

Kathryn in Sacramento

Mrs Flying Blind... said... #

You guys are the quilting equivalent of The Expendables!! Fantastic!

Amy Friend said... #

What a fun group! I love what you have made so far.

Swedish Scrapper said... #

Those churn dashes are the best I've seen in along time! Love the orange on orange, etc :D
The greys aren't too shabby either!

Sara said... #

Winged Squares are looking really neat!! Such a fabulous idea for a quilt group:):):)

Katy Cameron said... #

Heh, ladies of a certain age, love it!

CapitolaQuilter said... #

oh I think I qualify - right? more than half way to 100 ! Sounds like a blast and I love your blocks so far and Elizabeth did a fabulous job on the logo.

Anonymous said... #

These are great!!! I love the low volume one, I have been thinking about trying some low volumes pieces.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said... #

What a nice post Cindy. And I love how your bee quilt is taking shape. All the colors are just so energetic and lively. I'm in for another year too. Would love to keep going and eventually hope to meet people in real life. Carla may be my first real meet since she's in KC and we go there to visit my husbands family. Afraid I don't get in much other travel.

Anna said... #

That bee looks like so much fun :) I joined my first bee this year and I am really enjoying seeing what everyone else comes up with! They often want blocks and color combos I never would have thought of, but so far all the blocks have been so lovely! I'm so glad I jumped in and joined. Thanks for the block eye candy :)

Lindsay Conner said... #

Fun idea! I looked at your list, and thought.... hmmm, these ladies all seem pretty young and fun to me! I'm glad it's going so well!

Jen said... #

Love what you guys have made and I can't wait to see all the finished quilts on your blog! I'm not sure how a quilting be works? Does everyone send you a block for the month so then you have all the blocks to make up a quilt? So every month you have enough for a different quilt? Or do you just receive for your month? See Im so confused! And I LOVE the winged square quilt! That is going to be so awesome when it's done!

AND...I love the name of your group! It instantly drew me in bc I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mid Century Modern, EVERYTHING! (My hopes are one day to have a house all done it that design! Currently our bedroom is about complete.) The idea of using that as your group name is great too!

felicity said... #

I'm particularly in love with those winged squares! Your quilt is going to be fab!!

Adrienne said... #

Loving the colors in your churn dash!

Beth said... #

I love that winged square block - that quilt is going to be amazing!

CitricSugar said... #

I've loved watching this bee develop, and I think the "restriction" on participants is perfect! :-)

The logo is fantastic, too.

Mama Pea said... #

I LOVE your quilt, and I have loved watching you guys swap. I've been a little mad that I'm not 50 yet. 2 stinking years shy. :-/